So many to choose from this week but here are five of my favourite things from a 24 hour city stay-cation. Drum roll please…….
1. Chelsea buns from The Fed – Federal Delicatessen (www.thefed.co.nz; 84 Federal Street, Auckland). I’m not entirely sure why these are on the menu of a NYC-styed deli but I’m not complaining. They are soft and full of currants, nuts and spices and warm from the oven and you have to get there early because they are VERY popular.
Runners up: NY cheesecake (sooo good), bottomless cups of Joe (filter coffee in chunky mugs; no fancy shmancy choices here, just white or black), bagels smothered in cream cheese and lox. This is New York City with a Kiwi twist and I’m going back for more – sandwiches, sodas, more pie and cocktails.
Open 7am til late 7 days. No reservations, and no big tables. Careful of the in/out door arrangement. It’s a bit tricky 🙂
2. Afternoon movie at the Academy (www.academy cinemas.co.nz; 44 Lorne Street, Auckland).
Tucked away underneath the City Library, the entrance is slightly grungy but the seats are comfy, there’s coffee/wine/beer and snacks and a good selection of interesting, slightly off beat films.
Tickets are $9 on weekdays for screenings before 5pm.
3. The Sky Tower at night. Got to be the most photogenic and photographed building in town especially at night when it’s flooded with coloured light. Great shots from the Viaduct Basin, or lower Federal Street, even with a smart phone.
4. Terence the concierge at Rydges Hotel. A fellow Scot with the gift of the gab, a wicked sense of humour and a helpful manner. He lifted our stay at Rydges from good to great. Special mention for the gorgeous white fluffy towels too 🙂
And last but not least …
5. An early morning stroll to Silo Park. Never get tired of gazing at sun glisten on water, or watching people hurrying to work.
Categories: New Zealand