1. There is a strawberry museum in Belgium.
2. Roughly 27,000 kilos of strawberries are eaten during the 2 weeks of tennis at Wimbledon every year.
3. Strawberries are not only delicious but healthy too. Only 50 calories in 100g.
4. Eight strawberries have more vitamin C than an one orange.
5. Did you know strawberries can help whiten your teeth? The acids in the fruit help to remove stains.
6. The strawberry plant is a member of the rose family.
7. And last but definitely not least, the sweetest freshest strawberries within striking distance of Auckland are at Charlie’s Gelato Garden on the road to Matakana. Strawberries are picked daily but get there quickly because they sell out fast. Charlie’s also make gelato the Italian way in a dozen delicious flavours. Try a sundae. Yum.
Things to know before you go
Charlie’s Gelato Garden is open 7 days from 9 – 5 during the summer. Find them at 17 Sharp Road, Matakana
Categories: New Zealand